PLC (Controls Engineer)
Woodgrain Millwork is proud to be a family owned and operated manufacturer with over 60 years of product innovation, quality service, and business growth. Woodgrain Millwork’s diverse product offering includes wood molding, prefinished molding, wood door shop parts and products, and wood window parts, as well as many branded products. Woodgrain is a worldwide manufacturer and is proud to be one of the largest millwork operations today.
The Controls Engineer will plan, oversee and coordinate activities concerned with development, design, construction, modification, maintenance of equipment and machinery in an industrial plant. The Control Engineer will partner with mechanical engineers, line and plant managers, to design, develop, and commission PLC based automated control systems. The Controls Engineer will provide field service systems integration and technical consultation for customers in the areas of system design, programming, installation, start-up, maintenenance, repair, training and modification of automated control systems and power management systems.. Systems will include controls, interfaces, motor control centers, diagnostics, and safety elements. Must be able to take suggestions and direction from multiple sources and select the best practices from all to produce the most effective system. This position must be comfortable leading people and assuming the role of Project Manager when project demands this skill set.
• Write PLC code for company standard systems. Siemens and Workshop for CTI are most common.
• Write and deploy power transfer and other control schemes including Main-Tie-Main transfer schemes, load shedding/ peak shaving schemes, breaker control schemes, SCADA system development, and generator control.
• Knowledge and understanding of best practices for design of automation systems, power management systems, human-machine interface software, PLC programming, etc.
• Working knowledge of test equipment and diagnostic instruments for automation and power management systems.
• Knowledge of troubleshooting, test and repair techniques.
• Advanced understanding of the company’s and competitor’s automation and power management systems and services.
• Computer literacy. Working knowledge of all software packages relevant to successful performance of tasks.
• Knowledge of parts, part masters, bill of materials.
• Knowledge and practice of safety precautions related to working with automation and power management systems. Verify that peripheral equipment is in place, safe to operate, and functional.
• Has demonstrated ability to provide service and represent company interests in developing customer relationships to assure long-term customer satisfaction.
• Interpret and understand mechanical sequence, control drawings, and write ladder logic.
• Check for correct wiring of interfaces to peripheral equipment.
• Configure and debug PLC logic.
• Debug ladder logic to match correct manual and automatic sequence.
• Work with project management and customers to ensure specifications are met.
• Generate estimates for cost and time given a concept. Quote general turnkey control schemes (analyze specifications, price all applicable labor and materials, write a proposed scope of work, etc.)
• Design easy-to-navigate HMI interfaces. Siemens are most common.
• Work with other project team members as needed to successfully share and develop programming responsibilities as required.
• Direct electrical crews and panel builders on design realization.
• Provide on-site system commissioning support as required. (Will need to travel to other site’s)
• Work with facility management on energy saving programs and practices.
• Design system controls and interfaces for equipment, monitoring systems, etc.
• Design and develop motor controls and panel layout.
• Prepare engineering studies to evaluate selected manufacturing processes.
• Develop modification to existing process procedures and equipment to improve operations.
• Implement new process procedures and modifications for more efficient operations.
• Prepare detailed equipment specifications and contracts.
• Coordinate fabrication and installation of equipment.
• Test newly installed machines and equipment to ensure fulfillment of specifications.
• Assist management with production problems and develop solutions.
• Utilize computer-aided software (AutoCAD) to develop effective plant and equipment layouts to improve operations.
• Develop bills of material, create AutoCAD drawings of schematics and panel layouts, create I/O lists
• Must be able to actively work with all levels of management and plant personnel.
Skills & Qualifications:
• Experience designing control systems, panels and instrumentation and motor controls for industrial application
• Strong communication, interpersonal skills and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated experience in project management and leadership.
• Demonstrated skills in planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting.
• Commitment to working in a team oriented and continuous improvement environment.
• Ability to define and analyze problems, evaluating relevant facts and develop effective solutions.
• Experience with HMI (Human Machine Interface) software and power monitoring software packages
• Familiarity with AutoCAD and Microsoft Excel-advanced.
• Proficient computer skills (MS Office, AutoCad).
• Motor controls, VFD's, RVSS’s or Starters
• Technical Degree or Licensed Electrician, Bachelor of Science – Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or computer science is desirable.
Minimum Experience/Training Required:
• 5 years working with PLC’s and Control Systems, 3 years electrical trouble shooting, down to major component/module. Similar experience using HMI’s.
Candidates Must Apply By:
Please submit resume no later than 3-31-2018
Salary is commensurate with experience. Woodgrain has a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, group and supplemental life insurance and disability, 401(k), and other valuable benefits.
– 810 Complex St. SW Lenoir, NC 28645
Email Us to Apply